Sidmouth College celebrates super success from students
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth College has enjoyed another terrific term of sporting success.
The Under-16 girls’ netball team were crowned East Devon Champions, and were one of only two comprehensive schools in Devon to make the county finals.
The Under-13 boys’ rugby team continued their success into the 2017-18 season, winning all six games and being crowned East Devon champions and have now not been beaten in over a year!
The Under-14 girls’ football team remain undefeated this current football season and they are looking forward to the next round of the East Devon Championship, which is being held in January.
The Under-14 boys’ indoor cricket team were crowned East Devon Champions while the Under-15s were runners-up and, as a result, both teams will play in the Devon county finals to be held in January.
You may also want to watch:
In cross-country, no fewer than nine students will be heading to Stover School in South Devon in January where they will compete in the Devon county cross-country championships in January.
In addition, a number of students received call-ups to the Devon county teams. Three sixth-form students successfully progress through to the U18 Devon county rugby squad, one student represented Devon U16s in girls’ rugby and two students were selected for the Under-16 hockey team.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
The college is keen to give special thanks to Sidmouth resident Bill Valentine, a volunteer, who has been organising the running club every Monday as well as Devon RFU, who are coaching the girls’ rugby teams.
Sammy Omand, head of physical education at Sidmouth College, said: “The students continually achieve well in sports at Sidmouth and even though we are a smaller school, compared to others in the area, we compete at a high standard across a range of sports.
“Not only this, but many of the students have been selected as Sports Captains and have been leading and organising training sessions and events, demonstrating their leadership success as well.
“We look forward to the new term and the next age groups competing in the 2018 tournaments and competitions!”