Sidmouth College Under-14 netball enjoy the experience of the Devon County Netball Finals
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth College Under-14 girls’ played in the Devon County netball Finals at Exeter University’s Sports Park last week.
This is the first time in five years that Sidmouth have had a team reach this stage of the competition.
First up the team met Kingsbridge and made a slow start, possibly a little overwhelmed by the occasion!
However, in the second half the team found a higher gear and moved the ball around well to emerge victorious.
Next up a close encounter with Ivybridge, a game the Sidmouth team led until the Bridgers levelled deep into the second half for honours to end even.
You may also want to watch:
Game three saw the team come up against a physical and aggressive West Buckland side who would, go on to win the whole event. Sidmouth lost this game 14-3 prior to their last match against Blundells School, Tiverton.
With the help of a little extrinsic motivation (a promise of a stop at the Services on the way home if they performed well), the team gave it their all showing great courage and determination to put in a valiant, but ultimately unsuccessful, battle.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 9 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 10 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
Sidmouth were the only non-private, non-grammar, non-sports college to appear in the later stages of the competition and the team clearly enjoyed the experience.
One player, Daisy Essex said: “I never knew netball could be so violent!”
Sidmouth squad: Charley Gardiner, Emily Dawkins, Danni King-Keast, Emily Vicary, Robyn Hansford, Bryony Monaghan, Sophie Moore, Issy Sawyers, Ellie Gosling, Daisy Essex and Hannah Vicary.