Sidmouth Colts in close encounter with visiting Cullompton
- Credit: Archant
On a sunny November day at the Blackmore, Sidmouth Colts were in good numbers to play Cullompton, writes Michael Horsnell
The game started with 10 minutes of steady Cullompton pressure which, although many good tackles were put in by Sidmouth, they finished with a try under the posts.
Sidmouth replied swiftly with some great flowing rugby followed by Danny Swain running a great line, which proved unstoppable for a try in the corner The Mid Devon side slotted a penalty to open a 10-5 lead, but again the Sidmouth response was positive and, with a penalty kick into touch in the Cully 22, a quick ball out to the other wing saw Lewis Horne touch down for an unconverted try that sent the teams into the break at 10-all.
Cully came out fighting again with fairly constant pressure, again well defended by Sidmouth, but, after a 10-minute spell Cullompton earned themselves a try with no conversion. Sidmouth fought back hard and showed some great skills, especially in the forwards finished by an acrobatic Aaron Bagwell scoring a try. This was nicely converted to nudge Sidmouth in front for the first time in the match at 17-15.
A lapse in concentration towards the end in the Sidmouth backs let Cully run in one last try. The conversion was missed, but crucially the try gave the Mid Devon side a narrow 20-17 victory.
You may also want to watch:
Referee Alan Hubbleday, who had a fine game himself, said: “Well done to both Sidmouth RFC and Cullompton RFC Colts for playing a great game. It was one I enjoyed refereeing very much and I wish both sets of players the best of luck for the remainder of their season.”
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 7 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support