Sidmouth Colts net fine win at Exmouth.
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Colts were 24-8 winners when they travelled to take on Exmouth.
Having had their previous three matches washed out the teenage Chiefs were raring to go and they made a powerful start camping in the home 22 for the opening five minutes, but without being able to get the score board ticking over.
The closest they came was when the match official decided Joe Herbert’s attempt for a try was held up.
Exmouth responded with a break that led to a penalty they tucked away to lead 3-0. Really strong hits and runs by front row duo Joe Herbert and Sam Dix helped keep the pressure up on the home side and the opening Sidmouth try came from a mightily impressive 50-yard driving maul by the Sidmouth pack, followed by quick ball out to the backs and a great line taken by full-back Billy Collin to apply a polished finish to a great team try. harry Rumens converted and Sidmouth led 7-3 at half-time.
The home side began the second half well and the Sidmouth defence had to work overtime to keep them at bay before play switched to the other end and a successful penalty put Sidmouth 10-3 up.
You may also want to watch:
Further sustained Sidmouth pressure saw a turnover by Lucan Horsnell and the ball switched out wide to Aaron Thompson who ran it over the home whitewash to seal another notable team try. Harry Rumens again converted to leave Sidmouth 17-3 to the good.
Adrenaline got the better of a few players and led to two Sidmouth players and one Exmouth player being sin-binned! Exmouth used there overlap well to score a try in the corner and reduce the arrears to nine points.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
Thompson, moments after returning the action to have a cut eyebrow patched up, powered over for another try late on to complete the scoring and seal Sidmouth a splendid 24-8 success.