Sidmouth Colts progress in the National Cup

Sidmouth Colts in action again

Sidmouth Colts in action again - Credit: Dominic Fraser

Sidmouth Colts played Crediton RFC at Crediton as part of the National U18 Cup, and the first competitive game the boys had played this season. 

Early observations suggested that the game would be a tough and physical battle: Crediton seemed well stocked with big forwards and Sidmouth, with its smaller pack, once again knew that they would be tested in the tight areas.  

A defensive turnover, followed by two pieces of calmly structured play, enabled Sidmouth to claim the first points of the fixture via the boot of Miles Lewis, who slotted a penalty just outside of the 22. 

The second score came from an instinctive chip and chase from Joe Evans, catching the Crediton backs flat footed. Reaching the ball first, he recovered his own kick and set the forwards up to execute an ultimately successful series of picks-and-go, with Beck Finnemore dotting down.  

Unfortunately, the 0-8 lead lasted less than a couple of minutes, as a series of drives saw the home side bring the scores to 7-8.  

The first score of the second half was scored by Joe Evans. Spotting Crediton’s advancing defenders, he sniped from around the scrum and put a kick in behind the Crediton line. Showing a good turn of speed, he managed to pressure the Crediton winger into missing the ball, regathered and, with 5 metres still to go, managed to drag the desperate defender over the line with him as he scored in the corner. A great individual score! 

With the score now 7-13 Crediton kicked off and were able to build momentum and crash over for a try of their own. Ultimately, it was a Crediton mistake that cost them the game. A loose pass, pressured by Gabe Cortinhas and James Doulton in midfield, allowed James to collect the ball and charge through the open field.  

Most Read

Although tackled short, he was able to recycle the ball allowing the forwards to set up effectively for the pick and go. Several nerve wracking phases later Sidmouth crashed over the line to score what would be a decisive Try.  Ed Cooper converted this from a tight angle to finish the game at 12-20.  

Sidmouth Colts loving a return to action

Sidmouth Colts loving a return to action - Credit: Dominic Fraser

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter