Sidmouth Colts triumph in derby meeting with Exmouth
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Colts 24, Exmouth Colts 7 Sidmouth Colts produced their most satisfying performance of the season to beat local rivals Exmouth by four tries to one.
Both sides were determined to make the most of the great conditions and their was little to choose between them for most of the match. Crucially for Sidmouth, the front five, with Kyle Baker and James Thomas scrummaging powerfully, laid a great platform which ultimately was the difference between the teams.
Christian Goddard brought valuable organisation and leadership to the team and it was his quick penalty, line break and link with the excellent Dom Bess that breached the defence and Goddard took a return pass to open the scoring.
There was little between the teams at half time, but with Sidmouth in confident mood, they had the leadership and determination to play a more expansive game which paid off handsomely.
Tom Stokes finished off some great handling across the width of the field by Powell, the impressive Harry West, and Goddard to extend the lead followed by well deserved and well executed close range tries by Haydon Down and Martin Welsford after good tactical kicking by Powell and Bess. In between Exmouth pulled back one score when Sidmouth tried to scramble out of defence.
You may also want to watch:
With just four senior colts playing, several junior colts took their chances to impress. Already mentioned are Baker, Thomas (J), Powell, Bess and Harry West and, in addition, Jake Tansley, Harry Rumens and Lewis Horne, each showed well and look to be improving game by game. This week the Colts have another tough match against Tavistock at home.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 6 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 9 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution