Sidmouth crews in action at Bridport Gig Racing regatta
- Credit: Archant
Men’s and ladies’ crews from Sidmouth Gig Club took part in the 2017 regatta held by Bridport Gig Club, writes Nick Thompson.
Around a dozen boats from clubs along the south coast from Hayling Island to Exmouth took part in a series of races that took place on the first Sunday of July.
Their base was the harbour at West Bay and the course started outside the harbour mouth. The boats rowed west along the coast before a series of three bow-side (ie left-hand) turns then back to the starting line, a distance of just over a mile.
Sidmouth fielded; men’s A and B crews, a ladies A crew and also too part in both the super-vet and mixed events.
As a small club, Sidmouth rarely challenge the silverware and this latest regatta was no exception.
You may also want to watch:
However, it provided good racing experience for some recently joined members, and the warm sunny weather was enjoyed by all, though it must be said that the water was quite choppy considering the fine weather.
Talking of weather, Sidmouth’s own gig regatta had been scheduled for June, however poor sea conditions forced us to postpone.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
A new date has now been fixed – Sunday, August 20. It should offer a great day out for both rowers and spectators.
The club has recently ordered a second racing standard gig from a specialist boat builder in Fowey, and hopes to take two boats and more members to next year’s regattas.
Rowing at Sidmouth in the summer months is on Wednesday and Friday afternoons from 5pm and Sunday mornings from 9am.
The club welcomes new members; if you’re interested please search ‘Sidmouth Gig Club’ or email Stephen Gray at email@example.com