Sidmouth Croquet Club finals weekend – Nelson lifts Belmont Cup.
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Croquet Club’s 2013 Finals Weekend was a great success, writes Colin Walls.
The highlight was arguably the outstanding achievement of Peter Nelson who lifted the Belmont Cup for the third year running, but does not get to keep the cup to the chagrin of his grandson!
Nelson did, however reduce his handicap significantly during the year, and therefore won an additional cup for the most improved handicap in the club.
This is the club’s major handicap competition and always attracts the most entries of any competition, so well done to the winner and commiserations to runner-up Peter Hills.
The top level-play cup is the Humphrey Hicks.
You may also want to watch:
Last year’s winner, Derek Andrew, was in the final again this year, but came up against an in-form David Temple who was simply unstoppable!
Andrew can take some of the credit, however, as Temple was having trouble with his swing earlier in the season, and it was Andrew who had detected the flaw and passed on tips how to combat it, with astonishing results!
- 1 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 2 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 3 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 4 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 5 Grassroots sport under the Lords microscope
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 8 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 9 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
The Fermor Rose Bowl, the main ladies’ competition was won by Margaret Piper who edged out Nancy Temple in a thrilling encounter. The latter had the consolation of winning the Owen Cup for handicap singles.
Other names to feature on the winners list were: Anne Reece, Graeme Pryor and Paul Griew; well done all the winners, and everybody who took part.