Sidmouth Croquet Club Golf Croquet team see off Cornish opposition in thrilling contest.
Sidmouth Croquet Club Golf Croquet SW team were hosts to the Cornwall Porthpean team from St Austell, writes Helen Pryor.
Twenty games had to be played, and the clubs seemed to be well matched when, by lunchtime, the score was six games all. Four games later the score was eight-all, so the result rested on the last four games to be played!
The first two of these resulted in a win for each team and the third was a draw. Unknown to the remaining two players, John Coombes of Sidmouth and Rhona Bell of Cornwall, the final result rested with them! Those watching saw the players each run four hoops.
Time was running out and, just at the end, John luckily ran another hoop winning the game and gaining a victory for Sidmouth. The final score was Sidmouth ten-and-a-half, Cornwall nine-and-a-half.
The players of note on the day were Michael Hide who was successful in his doubles game, two singles games and drawing a third singles game, whilst Anne Gedge won the doubles game with Michael and two singles games.
You may also want to watch:
All team members won at least one game, contributing to the success of their first match of the season.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 5 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 6 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge