Sidmouth Croquet Club holding ‘Taster Session’ this Saturday (April 8)
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth croquet players were cock-a-hoop last Saturday at the opening of the lawns for this season’s croquet, writes Richard Thurlow.
The weather was fine; the freshly cut lawns were a delight to play on and the hoops, newly painted, shone in the spring sunshine.
Two demonstration matches, one of Association croquet and one of Golf croquet were played, the whiteness of the players’ attire dazzling the eye.
These matches allegedly showed the spectators how croquet should really be played. However many of them, unable to reconcile their own mean skills with those being demonstrated on the lawns, had drifted off to enjoy the further delights of the Spring lunch and the refreshments that preceded it.
Seriously though, a very enjoyable afternoon, which we hope will continue through the season.
You may also want to watch:
Over 100 members have rejoined for this season and we are hoping to attract more this coming Saturday (April 8) at our ‘Taster’ session for new members.
The taster session gets underway from 10am and all-comers are going to find themselves made very welcome.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help