Sidmouth Croquet Club June Tournament success for the impressive Andrew Thomas
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Croquet Club hosted the Croquet Association’s annual June tournament, writes Richard Thurlow.
The competition was played across five days with two of them dedicated to handicap play and three to level play.
Sidmouth’s a popular place and our club is very friendly, so as usual the tournament was fully subscribed with a waiting list!
At the end of the first day of the handicap event, Colin Hemming (Colchester CC) was in the lead followed by his wife, Georgeen Hemming, Andrew Thomas and Julie Horsley (both from Sidmouth CC).
The next day, Andrew beat Julie and Colin beat Georgeen, effectively making the afternoon game a final between Colin and Andrew which Andrew narrowly won by two hoops. In the meantime, the chair of the association, Brian Shorney, had crept up with two wins to take joint second place with Colin.
You may also want to watch:
The level play event started on the Friday with three blocks of players each playing six games.
In Block A on the first day, Roger Mills (Sidmouth/Budleigh Salterton CC’s) had two significant wins, over prominent players Dave Kibble, (Bristol CC), and Dave Mundy, (Sidmouth CC), but was then beaten, plus 26, by Keith Ross.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
The winner of Block A for the Challenge Cup was Richard Wood (Sidmouth CC) with five wins from six matches and the runner-up, with four wins from six, was Dave Kibble (Bristol CC).
Nigel Amos (Budleigh Salterton CC) won Block B for the David Rawkins Cup with five wins from six and there were no fewer than three Sidmouth payers who tied for second place – Philip Harris, Andrew Thomas and Colin Walls, all recording four wins from six matches. Georgeen Hemming won Block C for the Fortfield Cup with her record being a splendid six wins from six matches and the runner-up was Sidmouth’s Ian Friedlander, who won five out of six.
Andrew Thomas was able to celebrate his win and his birthday with fellow players at the Bedford Hotel on the Saturday night.