Sidmouth croquet player Jon Ball nets first CA Tournament success
- Credit: Archant
A dozen players from as far afield as Cambridgeshire, Herefordshire, Cornwall, Somerset and Wiltshire joined local players for Sidmouth’s C Level Advanced Play weekend Tournament, writes David Butler.
The tournament had been fully subscribed but for the late withdrawal of four players, mainly due to illness.
Sidmouth’s Jon Ball, who has only been playing the sport for just over two years and was also competing in his first CA Tournament, won the Connaught Cup with six wins out of six.
The runner-up was another Sidmouth player, David Clarke who won four of his six matches.
Third place was hared in a three-way tie with Nailsea’s Kathy Wallace, Budleigh Salterton’s Alan Rush and Sidmouth player Ian Friedlander all winning four from seven.
You may also want to watch:
Players relaxed on Saturday evening when they adjourned to a local hotel for dinner.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 7 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 8 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 9 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival