Sidmouth croquet player Jon Ball nets first CA Tournament success
- Credit: Archant
A dozen players from as far afield as Cambridgeshire, Herefordshire, Cornwall, Somerset and Wiltshire joined local players for Sidmouth’s C Level Advanced Play weekend Tournament, writes David Butler.
The tournament had been fully subscribed but for the late withdrawal of four players, mainly due to illness.
Sidmouth’s Jon Ball, who has only been playing the sport for just over two years and was also competing in his first CA Tournament, won the Connaught Cup with six wins out of six.
The runner-up was another Sidmouth player, David Clarke who won four of his six matches.
Third place was hared in a three-way tie with Nailsea’s Kathy Wallace, Budleigh Salterton’s Alan Rush and Sidmouth player Ian Friedlander all winning four from seven.
You may also want to watch:
Players relaxed on Saturday evening when they adjourned to a local hotel for dinner.
- 1 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 2 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 3 'I feel that front line workers should be vaccinated as soon as possible'
- 4 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 7 Government scraps proposals to increase house building quota in East Devon
- 8 How the Beeching Report signalled the end of the line for many local railways
- 9 Tar Barrel Night paintings will help keep the event rolling
- 10 'We are passionate about involving young people in planning'