Sidmouth croquet team edged out at Cheltenham
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Croquet Club’s second Parkstone League match was contested last week, writes David Butler.
Sadly for the Sidmouth team, a visit to Cheltenham ended in another narrow defeat, 4-3.
The match, however, was not without tension, because, in the morning, two games were level on time and play continued until another hoop was run.
The Sidmouth doubles partnership of Derek Andrew (6) and Philip Harris (6) was level against Daryl Whitehead (4.5) and Klim Seabright (5) and Derek hit in and ran the deciding hoop to win the game plus one.
Colin Walls (4.5) was also level against Graham Roberts (4), but Colin missed his hit in and so lost minus one.
You may also want to watch:
Peter Nelson (4.5) lost minus 11 to Roger Willbourn (3.5).
In the afternoon the four singles games were more clear cut with with Derek and Philip continuing to play well, winning plus 17 and plus five against Klim and Daryl respectively.
- 1 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 7 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 8 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
However, Colin and Peter struggled with Colin losing minus 10 to Roger, and Peter losing minus five to Graham.