Sidmouth croquet team tame The Bears
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth enjoyed an emphatic 6-1 success when they entertained The Bears in a Parkstone League meeting, writes David Butler.
In 2014 The Bears were asked to vacate their home at The Bear of Rodborough Hotel near Stroud due to the hotel needing to expand and have not had a home lawn to play on for the last year.
However, The Royal Agricultural University, close to Cirencester, came up trumps and provided a one-lawn facility which they also maintain.
The club is strong for its size, with six of its members having a handicap of five or better.
On the day, teams of four were fairly evenly matched.
You may also want to watch:
In the morning, the doubles pairing of Mike Taylor and David Clarke narrowly beat Keith and Kate Apperley (plus1) and in the singles Dave Mundy beat Robert Moss (plus 14) and Roger Hendy beat Richard Way (plus 9).
After a fine lunch provided by our caterer Gill Hodge, the remaining four singles were played, with Dave Mundy beating Richard Way (plus 23), David Clarke beating Kate Apperley (plus 15), Roger Hendy beating Keith Apperley (plus 6) and Mike Taylor losing to Robert Moss (minus 11).
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 7 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 10 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections