Sidmouth crowned East Devon League champions
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth seniors played the final match of this year’s East Devon League competition.
Adding spice to the final fixture was the fact that opponents Fingle Glen went into the match needing just one-and-a-half of the six points on offer to seal the title and retain the trophy they won 12 months ago, but equally, victory for Sidmouth and they would mean they would be crowned champions in their very first year of taking part!
First into action for Sidmouth were team captain Tony Stoyle and Bruce Harcourt, who were drawn to face the home captain and his playing partner.
A close encounter throughout drew to a close with the Sidmouth duo, one hole down with two to play, winning those last two holes to secure a fine win.
The second pair for Sidmouth were Graham Vincent and John White, with the latter a late replacement, and the pair played some wonderful golf that took them to a three-and-one success.
You may also want to watch:
David Fish and Tony Wilson were next out, and they were certainly ‘up against it’ tackling a home pair to whom they had to concede a number of shots, but the Sidmouth duo rose to the occasion and took the game three-and-one.
The fourth pair out for Sidmouth were Bob Webber and Hugh Dorliac and they sailed through much of their round, moving into what was a three hole advantage at one stage, before they held off a home comeback to win by one hole.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
It was the consistent pairing of Phil Spencer and Mike Davis who kept the winning run going as they emerged from what was a hard-fought contest with a three-and-two victory.
The final pair out were Malcolm Couldwell, now back to his best after a nasty illness, and Glyn Hewitt, who played out of his skin, as the pair combined well to bag a seven-and-five success which all meant a clean sweep 6-0 for Sidmouth and their crowning as East Devon League champions at the very first time of asking. Well done, to all who were involved in the success.