Sidmouth defeat visiting Northants team
- Credit: Archant
Friendly games have been in short measure this past fortnight for the Sidmouth bowlers, writes John Mason.
There was a visit from the Northants County President over the bank holiday and this saw the Sidmouth men prevail by four rinks to two and by 138 shots to 108.
Leading the way for the hosts were the captain’s rink of John Greenaway, Trevor Smith, David Butler and Mike Borst (27-12), and the vice-captain’s rink of Len Catford, Garry Hargrave, John Chew and John Mason (28-18).
The other game was a mixed match against the South Dorset Bowling Association. Despite a weakened team due to County Competitions elsewhere.
The home team did well to restrict the opposition to just four shots (71-75). This was in no small measure due to the ladies captain’s rink of Ron Denning, Janet Thomson, Brian Lamb and skip Jill Bishop who won 26-8.
You may also want to watch:
In the County Trophy League competition the men struggled against Ottery only managing to win one rink out of the four.
This was the home rink of Ray Tallent, Chas Coates, Derek Limpus and Norman Brimson (skip) who won 23-12.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
They faired better this last week against Madeira of Exmouth, probably the strongest team in the area, with only three shots separating the two teams. The two home rinks won by 10 shots overall, but the two away teams lost by 13 shots resulting in a win for Madeira overall.