Sidmouth doctor targets 2018 London Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Local GP, mum and runner, Dr Kerry Boyle is asking for community support in her challenge to raise £2,000 for the Institute of Cancer Research, writes Monica Read.
Kerry plans to run in the 2018 London Marathon and is organising a fun event as part of her campaign.
Kerry said: “As well as putting in the training, I am running a charity ‘pub quiz’ at the Woodlands Hotel on February 24, 2018 with a raffle and auction. I would be so grateful for any donations large or small for the raffle and auction.”
Both the venue and the charity are very close to Kerry’s heart. Kerry and husband Phil had their wedding reception at the Woodlands Hotel in June 2016. A few months later the couple was devastated by the loss of their best man, Richard Browne, to stomach cancer.
Kerry said: “Losing Rich made us want to do something to fight this terrible illness. The Institute of Cancer Research, based at the Royal Marsden Hospital in London, is one of the world’s most influential cancer research organizations making discoveries that defeat cancer.
You may also want to watch:
“It is now suspected that 1 in 2 of us will get cancer during our lifetime and it does not matter how old or how young you are, so it is vital funding is raised for this life changing research to take place.”
Kerry has run for Sidmouth Running Club since moving to Sidmouth with her young family in 2013 and has gradually built up her distance, successfully completing the Exeter marathon this year. London 2018 is her next big goal before taking on the challenge of junior coach at the club.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 6 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
“I have always been a runner, and we are so lucky in East Devon to have amazing trails and views to enhance the enjoyment that running brings.
“The running club in Sidmouth is great because it caters for all standards and is so welcoming, but currently there is nothing for our youngsters.”
Once the hours of training and fundraising are complete, Kerry will continue her coaching qualifications to become a UK Athletics coach so that Sidmouth Running Club can cater for juniors (8-15yr), hopefully this time next year!
If you would like to donate to Kerry’s cause please visit her website https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/kerrypboyle
To contact her for more information or donations for her charity event, please visit her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KerryBoylerunsLondon/