Sidmouth draw 5-5 at Tiverton in mixed match
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth’s mixed team set off last Friday on a sunny evening to tackle Tiverton at the local leisure centre.
The courts were immaculate, sadly the tennis was less so!
Mark Heywood and Lesley Cranston made heavy weather of their first match struggling to find any consistency and failing to clinch the advantage points.
They lost in straight sets 1-6, 3-6, but fortunately Heywood found his rhythm in the second rubber and the pair came from behind in both sets to reverse their previous result 6-4, 6-4.
Meanwhile, on the adjoining court Peter Fung and Debbie Snelgrove were entangled in the battle of the tie- break, three over the two contests.
You may also want to watch:
In the first rubber they narrowly lost in the final ‘shoot-out’ but their second match was a marathon, 20 stroke rallies not uncommon.
It too went to the wire with the Sidmouth pair coming from behind to squeeze through 14-12 on dead legs.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
The overall result saw honours end even in a 5-5 draw.