Sidmouth duo through to Section Three final of the ladies’ County Over-55 pairs competition
- Credit: Archant
A Sidmouth pair were involved in the semi-final of the Devon County Over-50 pairs, writes Carol Smith.
Sandra Wheeler and Valerie Newnham were in action at Sidmouth against Madeira duo Jan Roberts and Jackie Howle.
It proved to be an enthralling contest with the Sidmouth pair ahead for most of the time. Then, as often happens, the opposition caught up and the quartet went into the final end locked at 19-all – no pressure then!
Sandra held shot, but then Jan put two woods very close to the jack. Val tried to move them, but missed. Jackie then moved the jack slightly to give Madeira four shots.
With her last wood Valerie, under great pressure, had a brilliant shot that took the jack away and stayed with it, giving Sidmouth the shot they needed to win.However, Jackie still had one wood left, so fingers crossed everyone; unfortunately for them, and lucky for us, she missed!
You may also want to watch:
Our pair now proceed to play our section final against Carol Binmore and Sue Evans of Honiton at Honiton. Watch this space as the journey continues…
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 6 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support