Sidmouth & East Devon Fencing Club members enjoy county and national success
- Credit: Archant
Men and women from the Sidmouth and East Devon Fencing Club (SEDFC) have recently clocked up a host of competition success in County and Regional events.
As a result, three fencers, Grace Williams, Finn Manning and younger brother Ollie Manning, will join the Devon team at Excalibur, the prestigious 10-county, two-day competition taking place in Bath later this year.
Ollie and three other junior fencers, Isabella Synek-Herd, Donnie Cass and Toby Moore qualified at South West regional competitions to represent the SW at the British Youth Championships, to be held in Sheffield in May.
Toby’s younger brother Alex also qualified despite being too young to compete at Sheffield!
At the Devon Foil Epee and Sabre Championships 2019, Grace collected Gold at the foil and epee events and runner up at sabre. She went on to win the women’s Master at Arms trophy for the best performance across all three weapons. SEDFC fencer Keely Sawyer was women’s Master at Arms runner up.
You may also want to watch:
Finn took bronze in the men’s foil, and Ollie took Bronze and best cadet in sabre and was runner-up in the men’s Master at Arms. Nick Watson won the Plate competition at epee.
Competitive fencing requires a high level of fitness and the ability to think fast on your feet.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 4 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 5 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 8 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 9 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 10 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
SEDFC train every Thursday in Sidmouth, and volunteer coaches put on extra training as needed.
The club welcomes new members of all ages and abilities - high levels of fitness and fast thinking are not necessarily required for recreational fencers!
You can follow the club’s exploits on their Facebook page Sidmouth and East Devon Fencing Club.