Sidmouth East Devon League side edged out at Teign Valley
- Credit: Archant
With several of the team playing on unfamiliar turf at Teign Valley, the Sidmouth East Devon League side had a day of mixed fortunes in conditions generally good for golf, writes Hugh Dorliac.
Water and bushes played their part in the result, which was a 3-2 win for the home side.
Captain Harrison Jones admits his partner, Jeremy ‘Texas’ Holden, ‘carried’ him for 16 holes when he suddenly came to life to help his team to a well-earned half. Sidmouth’s next pairing of Craig Melluish and long-distance member Simon Knowles, who now lives in France but who came over for the weekend, took the match down to the wire, managing a good half on the last hole.
Terry Jones and Marc Jenkins played very well and romped home five-and-four winners to set up an exciting finish.
Sadly, that’s where the good news ends as hot favourites Trevor Kerridge and sidekick Allan Malcolm failed to live up to expectations and lost their match on the tricky 16th hole.
You may also want to watch:
A much tighter match ensued, but Simon Emerson and Shaun Murphy, being hindered by shots into bushes or out of bounds, lost by a short margin.
Despite the loss and warm muggy weather, all enjoyed the day and the course was in very good condition.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 8 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 9 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 10 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom