Sidmouth edge their way into round three of the Palairet Trophy
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth are through to the third round of the Palairet Trophy (Devon Cup) after an extremely close match against Stover at Honiton last Sunday, writes Chris Roberts.
The match consists of five foursomes matches (alternate shots), and each match must be played to a finish.
The top pair were making something of a comeback for the club having been unavailable for a while, two times Devon Amateur Champion Damion Gee now lives in Wales and Willard White has been under witness protection following news that Ernst Stavro Blofeld may still be alive!
However, it seemed that they had never been away as they cruised to a five-and-four win.
There was a similar score in the fourth match as heavyweight pair Jonathan Lee and Mark Thomas cruised to defeat!
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth managed to win the third match as John Jones and Chris Lewis had a narrow two-and-one win over their opponents, whilst the last pair of Stuart George Coles and James Spiller crumbled from two up to lose on the seventeenth green. So, with the match poised at 2-2, it fell to the second pair of Dudley Taylor and Lewis Perry to see Sidmouth home in a match in which they were never ahead until the second extra hole. Sidmouth will now play Ilfracombe in the third round.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 5 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 8 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 9 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution