Sidmouth edged out in Winter League title bid
- Credit: Archant
The annual Jurassic Coast Winter League, played between senior teams from Sidmouth, Axe Cliff and Lyme Regis golf clubs, was decided this week, writes Hugh Dorliac.
The final meeting of the competition was held at Axe Cliff, where conditions were bright, but wintery!
Going into the meeting, Lyme Regis held a 15-point lead at the top with Sidmouth sitting in second place.
It all meant plenty of work to be done by both Sidmouth and the home side to wrestle the initiative from Lyme!
Once the golf was completed, all involved enjoyed a delightful meal that was followed by the announcing of the results.
You may also want to watch:
Despite a great exhortation to his troops by Axe Cliff’s captain, Dave Bruce, to prevail on their own course, they fell 19 points short of victory.
Sidmouth did beat Lyme by 16 points on the day, but were sadly pipped by just one point by Bob Sheppard and his team from Lyme, who took the title. The final scores were: 1, Lyme Regis 691; 2, Sidmouth 690; 3 Axe Cliff 672.
- 1 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 2 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Local storyteller looks to folklore for reminders that every action has consequences
- 10 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections