Sidmouth enjoy Madeira success
- Credit: Archant
Over the past two week the club have been very active with five friendly matches with varying results, writes Ron Cook.
First up a visit from Torquay United who took the honours on all three rinks, Eileen Hewett and her team managing to pick a five on the last end to miss out by just one shot!
The following day saw some heavy scoring from John Mason, Trevor Smith, Sylvia Cook and Janet Smith dominating their rink against Chardstock by 38 to 11. Another win and a draw gave Sidmouth an overall score of 79 to 47.
On the Wednesday the first of four men’s matches against Madeira was played away, with Sidmouth getting off to a good start winning by seven shots having lost two rinks. John Mason and his team of Brian Barber, Brian Smith and Ken Wheeler were dominant on the day, scoring 26 with 12 in reply.
At the weekend, Sidmouth entertained a representative team from the Vice Presidents Association, comprising teams from Dawlish, Exonia and Madeira .. These matches are always very enjoyable, if not rowdy, with many friends in attendance from across the County. Sidmouth took the honours with a score of 61- 58 which reflects how keenly contested the match was.
You may also want to watch:
The week ended with a fixture against Axminster who came with an inform team running out the winners by 65 to 40 overall. Sidmouth had one winning rink with congratulations to Wilf Radburn and his team, Lorna Lever, Ron Denning and Karen Hollingdale leading the way with a score of 26 17.
Last Sunday, club members Mike Reader and Allan Davis spent ran a session at the club introducing new bowlers to the sport. There was a terrific turnout and it is hoped the membership will grow further as a result.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 5 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 6 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 7 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 10 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown