Sidmouth enjoy victory at Axminster
- Credit: Archant
Three mixed friendly matches during the week produced a hat-trick of wins for Sidmouth bowlers, writes David Fairclough.
On Sunday (March 8) we took three rinks to Axminster, winning two of the rinks and by an aggregate score of 64-56 for the match. The best Sidmouth rink, by a score of 26-10 was skipped by Ron Cook, including Rob Wheaton, Joan Monaghan and Susie Bonnell.
The midweek match was played in Tiverton at Mid Devon Club. This is a very strong club, drawing as it does during the indoor season, members from a number of local outdoor clubs, who do not have their own indoor facilities. Sidmouth won two of the three rinks, and by an aggregate shot score of 56-51. The best Sidmouth rink, with a shot score of 25-12 was skipped by Ken Tolley, supported by Roger Stewart, Joan Monaghan and David Fairclough.
On Saturday we received in Sidmouth three mixed rinks representing Dunkeswell Club. Dunkeswell do not have their own indoor rinks, but play during the winter months at a number of local clubs. On this occasion Sidmouth won two of the three rinks and by an aggregate shot score of 88-44.
The best Sidmouth rink comprised Ray Tallent, Chris Radburn, Gordon Brown and skip Sheila Lockwood. Their winning score was 49-10. This included two near ‘hot-shot’ ends when seven shots were won on two consecutive ends.
You may also want to watch:
The one shot failure to earn a ‘hot-shot’ on two ends, and the one shot short of a 50 rink score on that rink at least meant that the Captain escaped the purchase of a round of drinks. Dunkeswell will, no doubt, be eager to exact their revenge during the forthcoming outdoor season.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 9 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 10 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!