Sidmouth exit Grace Matthews competition at hands of Madeira
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth hosted the first round of the Grace Matthews and, thankfully it was a perfect day for bowls, sunshine, slight breeze and perfect temperature, writes Susie Bonnell.
Sidmouth were drawn against Madeira in this prestigious annual competition.
Despite a valiant attempt in some of the disciplines, Madeira secured an overall win on three of the five rinks - winning the 4-wood singles, the 2-wood singles and the pairs.
Sidmouth ladies won the rinks with a score of 26-11,l led by skip Chris Hamer and her team, Pat Ashton-Pritchard, Anita Mason and Zena Johnson.
In the triples there was a close encounter, and a 15-14 success, for the team of joint captain’s Jill Bishop and Ann Capon together with Susie Bonnell.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth will now have to wait until next year to try again.
- 1 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 2 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 3 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 4 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 5 Legion's centenary plea for Sidmouth Poppy Appeal volunteers
- 6 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 7 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 8 Concerns raised over surge in number of unpaid carers
- 9 Businesses should be stocking up now for Folk Festival
- 10 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward