Sidmouth Gig Club compete in gruelling race on River Tamar
- Credit: Archant
The first Saturday in March saw Sidmouth Gig club compete in the first race of the 2017 calendar, writes Nick Thompson.
The Caradon Three Rivers race is a gruelling six-mile course on which rowers had to contend with wind, rain and tides.
The race starts at Saltash in the shadow of the two huge bridges, heads north up the Tamar, loops around the Tavy estuary and then returns south under the bridges.
It carries on south to the mouth of the river Lynher before looping back to the finish just south of the bridges. The setting is spectacular but the course ensures that all the boats will face wind and tide, and this year’s included heavy showers.
As a small club Sidmouth was never going to threaten the silverware and both our Ladies and Mens crews came in at the tail end of their races. However as this race is twice as long as any other in the calendar just completing the course is a real achievement, and our crews now face the rest of the 2017 regatta season in good heart.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth Gig Club rows on Wednesday and Friday evenings, and Sunday mornings, throughout the summer months.
We welcome new members for both social and competitive rowing, no previous experience is necessary. Please contact the secretary Stephen Gray at email@example.com or search ‘Sidmouth Gig Club’ if you would to find out more or try a taster row.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 9 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
See more photos of the Sidmouth Gig Club crews at the Caradon Three Rivers race in tne next edition of the Sidmouth Herald (out next on Friday, March 10).