Sidmouth Gig Club crew enjoy Cornish trip
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Gig Club sent a mixed crew of four men and two ladies to compete in the scenic Helford Head of the River Race.
This is a popular event with nearly 30 crews competing with the racing started in open sea and finishing at Gweek at the top of the Helford estuary.
Despite the cox’s efforts to keep morale high with shouts like, ‘This must be the last bend before the finish!’, the crew knew better, with the course taking approximately 45 minutes hard rowing to complete!
Competing alongside men’s crews, Sidmouth were pleases to come 19th in the overall results list.
Post racing the Sidmouth crew made a big impression with the Helford hosts being so impressed the Sidmouth dancing that they were offered free beer and cake from 10pm!
You may also want to watch:
The Sunday saw the group head over to Falmouth waterfront for some coaching by members of Falmouth Gig Club, who are currently world champions.
Gina Rodgers of Sidmouth Gig Club said: “Men’s and ladies crews were filmed, and a wide range of interesting technique changes were tried.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
“This was a really useful session which the club is going to share with all members at the Sailing Club in the next few weeks.
“We saw fantastic facilities for all types of water sports from canoeing to rowing and came away convinced that something similar in Sidmouth’s redevelopment of the Port Royal would be a real bonus.”