Sidmouth Gig Club crews impress at Rame Gig Regatta in Cornwall
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Gig Club crews were in action last Saturday, making the trip down to Cornwall and the scenic villages of Cawsand and Kingsand for the Rame Gig Regatta, writes Jeremy Cloke.
Sidmouth were amongst 25 plus crews in action, including most of the top ten crews from the Scillies World Championships.
The course was deceptively long, exploring Plymouth Sound and returning via the coast to the finish at Cawsand Beach.
Undaunted, the Sidmouth crews entered the men’s ladies, vets and supervet categories.
The Ladies A crew of Linda Wheate, Megan Rodgers, Louise Beekhan, Kirsteen Welch, Sarah McCourt and Gina Rodgers, coxed by Jeremy Cloke, continues to make steady improvement, and fought a hard race to come 15thth out of a very competitive 22 crews.
You may also want to watch:
The Ladies B team of Megan Rodgers, Kirsteen Welch, Linda Wheate, Amanda Bleazard, Sarah McCourt and Julie Turner surprised everyone by achieving a notable 8th place out of 17 entrants.
The men’s crew, although containing some novice rowers, rowed very encouragingly, giving useful race experience to a number of Sidmouth rowers.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
The club has its largest ever turnout of members training now in preparation for the next big date – the Lyme Regatta being held on Saturday, August 11.