Sidmouth Gig Club have ‘best so far’ performance at World Gig Championships
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Gig Club competed for the fourth time in the World Championships over the holiday weekend, held as usual on the Scilly Isles, writes Nick Thompson.
Eight men and 11 ladies formed crews in both the Men’s A and SuperVet classes, and both finished strongly, making significant improvements on last year’s results.
All the Sidmouth men and ladies took part in various crews for the five races over the weekend.
As a small club, with just one competition standard boat, Keith Owen, competing with the larger clubs is currently a major challenge.
However, our men finished in 108th place out of 140, and the ladies were 111th out of 142.
You may also want to watch:
In their SuperVet races, the men were 20th and the ladies came home 22nd.
Possibly the most successful Sidmouth rower was Sarah Green who kindly stood in at short notice for Appledore Vets, due to a rower’s illness, and came eighth in the race, much to the delight of the Appledore crew!
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
The Sidmouth crews made their mark after the final race by dressing as the Sidmouth Smugglers, complete with rum brought back from their trip to Bermuda in the autumn.
The club has recently ordered a second racing standard gig from a specialist boat builder in Fowey, and hopes to take two boats and more members to next year’s championship.
From April to October the club rows at Sidmouth on Wednesday and Friday afternoons from 5pm and Sunday mornings from 9am.
The club welcomes new members; if you’re interested please search ‘Sidmouth Gig Club’ or email Stephen Gray at firstname.lastname@example.org