Sidmouth Gig Club launches new youth rowing section
- Credit: Archant
The past three weeks have seen the launch of the Sidmouth Gig Club youth rowing section, writes Jeremy Cloke.
An early result of this has been that a number of local youngsters enjoying getting on the water in a racing gig for the first time.
This Wednesday they joined the club schedule for the first time and will progress to the wooden racing gigs.
With Sidmouth Gig regatta taking place next month (July 15), we are hoping for a junior entry in this, a Jurassic League event!
Last Saturday saw a large contingent from the club make the journey to Swanage Regatta, to race in what were hot and sunny conditions. With entries in the men’s A, ladies’ A and B crews, men’s and ladies’ vets and mixed, it proved to be an afternoon for endurance, and ice cream!
You may also want to watch:
The ladies A crew achieved possibly our best result, coming sixth against the top crews from the Jurassic clubs, and finishing only seconds behind Lyme Regis, a much larger club.
This Saturday (June 9) the club is racing again in Exmouth’s first Gig racing regatta.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
Meanwhile, preparations are underway for our own Gig Racing Regatta, being held on Sunday July 15.
It should all make for an excellent spectacle, based at Clifton Beach, with gigs following a kite-shaped course before racing along the seafront to the finish by the Arches.
Spectators, supporters and visitors, as always, will be made very welcome.