Sidmouth Gig Club preparing for coming 2017 season
- Credit: Archant
Gig Club’s season runs from April to October, rowing from Sidmouth beach on Wednesday and Friday evenings and Sunday mornings, writes Nick Thompson.
As part of the preparation for the 2017 season our 32-foot boat Keith Owen was turned upside down in January for minor repairs to its hull.
For its size a gig boat is quite light but it needs at least 20 people – 10 on each side – to turn one over.
A month later it was time to turn it right way up, so the call went out from club Bosun Gina Rodgers to assemble at the boat house (near Sidmouth swimming pool) at 10:30.
Twenty-five members plus several children arrived on time. They were joined by Joy and Dave Rothwell who are gig rowers from Bermuda, who happened to be staying in Sidmouth for the weekend.
You may also want to watch:
It’s a case of ‘many hands make light work’ and within 15 minutes Keith Owen was carried out of the boat house, turned over and carried safely back into its home.
This year the club will again be competing in the World Championships held in the Scilly Isles and in a number of regattas up and down the Jurassic Coast. Sidmouth’s home regatta will be held on Sunday, June 11.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 6 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 7 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 8 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 The questions of British Lions selection
The club welcomes new members; if you’re interested in joining search ‘Sidmouth Gig Club’ or email Stephen Gray at firstname.lastname@example.org