Sidmouth Gig Club Regatta is a resounding success
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Gig Club’s 2019 Regatta was held on a superb Saturday - weather wise - with no wind and not too warm and a clam sea, writes Nick Thompson.
Ten clubs brought their boats to compete in 10 races, from juniors to super vets.
The club chooses a day when the tide will be low around mid-day, so crews can launch their boats from the sand, and change crews in shallow water.
The races started at 10am and unusually for a regatta, we ran to schedule!
Among the visiting clubs were Bridport, Lyme Regis and Langstone, who between them won every race.
You may also want to watch:
Sidmouth were well down the field in most races though our men's, vets, ladies A and mixed crew, put in good performances.
Regattas are about more than racing, they are social events for rowers and their families, and Sidmouth scores high as an inviting location and we make great efforts to organise the event carefully and offer a warm welcome.
- 1 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 2 Saved from the bin! Charity shop staff hunt for mistaken items
- 3 Sidmouth defeat Boringdon in national competition
- 4 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
- 5 Rugby youngsters finish season with five tries
- 6 Tim Martin of Wetherspoons wants government to offer visas to EU workers to help out in pubs
- 7 New youth project will help young people's voices to be heard
- 8 Old Fore Street pedestrian zone will be open for bicycles to use
- 9 Communities encouraged to apply for rural building funds
- 10 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
The barbecue was in action from early on, and club members had prepared an excellent array of cakes.
All in all it was a great day; the overall winner of the races for Bridport but everyone was glad to have taken part.
Sidmouth Gig Club offers a warm welcome to new members, whatever their ability. We have around 100 members and are a sociable club with lots of non-rowing activities.
There is also a growing youth section which welcomes youngsters from age 13 and over.
If you are interested in joining the club or coming along to a taster session, please search online for 'Sidmouth Gig Club' or contact the membership secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org