Sidmouth Gig Club Supervets fifth at Appledore Regatta
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Gig Club sent its Supervets (Over 50s) crew to Appledore for their Supervets Regatta last weekend, writes Jeremy Cloke.
Staying over the weekend at Skern Outdoor Adventure Centre the crew were ready for the off with an early start at 8am due to the tidal conditions.
In horrible wet conditions on Saturday, the crew started strongly in their heat against a powerful tide, eventually coming sixth, winning a place in the Plate final. After exploring the restaurants of Appledore, the Sidmouth ladies remembered their supervet status and unusually retired early to Skern, to be in good shape for the next day’s racing!
Sunday’s weather was a complete transformation with sun and blue skies.
In the Plate Final, the crew again had an excellent start and were alongside the early leaders. Although tiring in the latter stages the crew fought all the way, eventually finishing fifth of the eight boats in the race.
You may also want to watch:
The rowing season at Sidmouth is about to go ‘up a gear’ with extra training rows for the World Championships in the Scilly Isles and nearly 20 new rowers also keen to get on the water.
Sidmouth Gig Club is a friendly, sociable club that rows regularly throughout the summer and winter. For further information, please visit our website or email email@example.com
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 4 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 10 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth