Sidmouth girls do very well in matches at Wellington
Despite the storm warnings a Sidmouth Under-8s girls rugby team turned out on Sunday at Wellington to play two matches with the hosts.
The girls, wearing their new Rosetta sponsored tops, were full of spirit following their success over Exmouth and the fact that they also had ‘Aussie Rules’ Emily in their ranks!
The first game started with early scores for Sidmouth and they held a one point lead at the interval.
Parity was restored in the second half, but all that changed when Daisy Grove scored a perfect scrum half sniping try from five-metres out, beating a brace of opponents at close range with superb footwork.
A couple of slick tries from Ellie Wood then saw the side to an 8-5 victory.
You may also want to watch:
The team’ second game was a tougher proposition as Wellington boys team looked determined to improve on the defeat they had just suffered to the Sidmouth boys.
However it was a try from ‘Aussie Rules; Emily that gave Sidmouth the lead, a score cancelled out by half-time by the home side.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 7 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
After the break the Sidmouth lead was restored with a try from Ellie Monro-Higgs and other scores followed. The home side also got on the score sheet and it was the hosts who won it late on with a well worked training ground move that secured them an 8-7 success.
Thanks are due to the Wellington coaches and supporters for providing a great atmosphere for the Sidmouth girls.