Sidmouth given quite a lesson by National Three Barnstaple

Sidmouth chiefs at home to Barnstaple in the Devon senior cup. Photo by Terry Ife ref shsp 9558-12-1

Sidmouth chiefs at home to Barnstaple in the Devon senior cup. Photo by Terry Ife ref shsp 9558-12-13TI To order your copy of this photo go to and click on myphotos24 - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth 12, Barnstaple 41 The gulf between the South West league and National Three was shown by this comfortable win, which sees Barnstaple progress to the final of the Devon Senior Cup, writes Terry O’Brien.

On a wet, slippery surface, on which mistakes were inevitable, Barnstaple made fewer and, crucially dominated the scrums.

They opted to play with the stiff breeze at their backs in the first half and, with a monopoly of possession, kept the Chiefs pinned inside their own half for much of the time.

The visitors looked certain to open the scoring after eight minutes, when they created an overlap for the right winger, but a superb last ditch tackle by Ben Dobson denied him. However, they maintained the attacking position to earn a five metre scrum. After four resets the referee lost patience with the Sidmouth front row and awarded a penalty try and a yellow card to James Perry. The try was converted.

Barnstaple used their extra man to good effect, when they ran back a wayward clearance kick to create a try for the outside centre.

You may also want to watch:

The Chiefs showed some defensive heroics with Sam Meadham tackling man and ball to stifle a two man overlap, and James Powell falling on the ball under his own posts to clear up a dangerous kick ahead. However they could not prevent two more tries.

The right winger profited from a break by the number seven and the full back finished off a move following a turnover at a ruck just outside the Sidmouth 22.

Most Read

Showing commendable spirit, the Chiefs had their best spell at the end of the half to keep the ball through many phases as they pressed on the Barum line. Tom Whelan and Sam Meadham both went close before Matt Farrington provided the scoring pass to Jack Pyne.

The try was unconverted making the halftime score 5-22.

Despite now playing into the breeze, the Barnstaple pack dominated proceedings to keep play in the Sidmouth half. After five minutes they mauled their way over for their fifth try.

The Chiefs produced a good handling move to take play into the opposing 22, but could not sustain the position.

Following a number of scrums near the Sidmouth line, during which Matt Lovesy was yellow carded, Barnstaple eventually scored a pushover try, which was converted.

The Chiefs managed to work their way into an attacking position and this time scored a well-deserved second try.

Matt Farrington followed up a Dan Retter chip ahead to profit from a bounce off the post to pick up and dive over. Tom Whelan kicked the conversion.

Barnstaple added a seventh try in injury time, when the right winger won the chase for a diagonal kick. The conversion was the final decisive act of the game.

On Saturday the Chiefs entertain Chard kicking off at 3.00pm. A win should end any remaining threat of relegation.

The Quins travel to Tiverton for a Merit Table game.

The Colts travel to Okehampton for a top-of-the -table clash. The winner will be favourite to win the Merit Table.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus