Sidmouth Golf Club stages 2016 Presentation Night
- Credit: Archant
It was Presentation Night at Sidmouth Golf Club last week and as usual, it was preceded by the annual meting of the manager versus the captain match, writes John Barnard.
It was a first for new club manager Andy Blight and he played with club president, Roger Bawden against club captain and Vice captain Ray Gunston and Richard Powell.
They were the last match out and I expect Andy wondered what hit him as they lost six-and-five.
Fortunately, his selections had played well earlier! The final result was 6-6, so honours even and a good time had by all before the main event.
It was a sad day for vice captain Richard Powell and many others at the club as Richard’s father, Roger Powell, had passed away the previous day.
You may also want to watch:
Roger was a popular past captain of the club (1983), and so very proud too as Richard won the Challenge Cup that year and so he was able to present the prize to his son at the 1983 prize giving evening.
Presentation Night was a great night for the club members, enjoying all the many successes achieved by friends during 2016 and for many, hoping next year it will be their turn.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 5 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 6 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 7 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 10 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
The evening was concluded with the announcement that Colin Macklin will be proposed as next year’s vice captain and club captain for 2018.
A proud and emotional Colin thanked the six past captain’s for their confidence and looked forward to supporting Richard Powell in his 2017 captain’s year.