Sidmouth Golf Club stages 2016 Presentation Night
- Credit: Archant
It was Presentation Night at Sidmouth Golf Club last week and as usual, it was preceded by the annual meting of the manager versus the captain match, writes John Barnard.
It was a first for new club manager Andy Blight and he played with club president, Roger Bawden against club captain and Vice captain Ray Gunston and Richard Powell.
They were the last match out and I expect Andy wondered what hit him as they lost six-and-five.
Fortunately, his selections had played well earlier! The final result was 6-6, so honours even and a good time had by all before the main event.
It was a sad day for vice captain Richard Powell and many others at the club as Richard’s father, Roger Powell, had passed away the previous day.
You may also want to watch:
Roger was a popular past captain of the club (1983), and so very proud too as Richard won the Challenge Cup that year and so he was able to present the prize to his son at the 1983 prize giving evening.
Presentation Night was a great night for the club members, enjoying all the many successes achieved by friends during 2016 and for many, hoping next year it will be their turn.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 8 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 9 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
The evening was concluded with the announcement that Colin Macklin will be proposed as next year’s vice captain and club captain for 2018.
A proud and emotional Colin thanked the six past captain’s for their confidence and looked forward to supporting Richard Powell in his 2017 captain’s year.