Sidmouth golf latest - James Spiller wins and closes the gap in the league
- Credit: Archant
James Spiller was the victor of the latest round of the Sidmouth Jewellers Friday series and his win saw him close the gap in the on-going league table, writes Chris Roberts.
Spiller closed his round with a commendable 40 point score that led to a handicap cut from seven to six!
His solid round included four pars and a birdie, all in the last five holes of his round.
Second place went to Stuart Coles who did not get his round off to a good start recording a blob on the first!
However, he stormed back with four birdies including a terrific two on the fourth that helped him to a score of 38 points.
You may also want to watch:
Third place saw Mark Thomas get the nod over Duncan Taylor by virtue of the countback system after both players carded scores of 36 points. The Thomas round started in similar vein to the Coles one, but he closed his round out well with no fewer than seven pars over the last nine.
With Spiller picking up maximum points for the win he closes the gap on John Jones, the current leader of the series to 10 and, eight points further back is Mark Thomas.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour