Former member impresses on return
- Credit: Archant
The annual Digger Cup competition was played on Saturday at Sidmouth Golf Club, writes Hugh Dorliac.
The bogey format, where a player gets +1 for a birdie and -1 for a bogey and 0 for a par, is what used to be played before the stableford format was invented, possibly about the time past member Digger Reed was playing and after whom the cup is named.
Recently returned member, Phil Grover had an impressive round off a handicap of 6 and carded an excellent winning score of +5, two shots ahead of Terry Jones on +3 with Mark Thomas a further shot behind on +2. Needless to say they will all be playing of lower handicaps next time out.
On Friday night, the Sidmouth jewellers stableford had been played in thundery conditions but there were some good scores recorded.
It took a close scrutiny of the top scorecards to determine the winner on countback with four players all recording 39 points. Coming out on top was David Pepperell, ahead of Ian Watson in second and Marc Jenkins in third. David and Marc enjoy a one shot cut off their handicaps.
You may also want to watch:
The Upper Crust Monday stableford competition also went to countback with three players on 41 points. Happily I can report the name of Hugh Dorliac being declared the winner ahead of Iain Roberts and third placed Marc Jenkins .
Two shots off handicaps were the result for first and third with Iain dropping by one as did Mark Thomas in fourth. Probably his 24 points coming home was reflected in that.
- 1 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 2 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 3 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 8 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 9 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 10 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'