Sidmouth golfer Matt Bavington one step closer to round of a lifetime with a European Tour star
- Credit: Archant
Matt Bavington from Sidmouth Golf Club is one step closer to a round of a lifetime with a European Tour star after he won through a regional final of the Bridgestone Chase Your Dream Trophy, run in partnership with England Golf.
The five handicapper kept alive his dream of a place in the pro-am of the British Masters supported by Sky Sports when he qualified at Exeter Golf and Country Club
Now he’ll head to England Golf Week in August at Frilford Heath Golf Club, Oxfordshire for the national finals of the Chase Your Dream Trophy. The top players there will play in the pro-am of the Bridgestone Challenge and the winning team there will make a date for the British Masters.
It’s a journey which already capturing the imaginations of thousands of amateur golfers in clubs affiliated to England Golf, just as it did in its inaugural year 12 months ago.
Last year, the three overall winners partnered Ryder Cup hero Nicolas Colsaerts at the pro-am of the British Masters supported by Sky Sports at Close House.
You may also want to watch:
Matt, who scored a net 72 in qualifying on the Devon course, celebrated qualifying: “I’m so pleased I’m in the next round. I played Minehead in last year’s tournament and loved it.
“I’m over the moon I’ve gone one step further this year and can hopefully continue all the way to the British Masters.”
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 7 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 10 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
The Devon golfer says he isn’t nervous about the next round at Frilford Heath: “The fact that I don’t know the challenges ahead of me, really spurs me on. I know on my day I can conquer any course!
“The tournament does that to you and pits you against golfers of all talents and ages – I can’t wait to see who I’m paired with in the next round and create more memories!”
Bridgestone’s Consumer Sales and Marketing Director, Farrell Dolan said: “Matt has done fantastically to qualify for the next round amongst a field of fantastic golfers. He’ll continue to chase his dream of playing at the British Masters!
“Our Chase Your Dream Trophy has captured the imaginations of many, many golfers. We want to build on our 2017 successes and create another competition that is etched in the diaries of English amateur players – including Matt!”
For more information about Bridgestone and its Chase Your Dream concept, visit www.nomatterwhat.uk.com