Sidmouth golfer takes over as captain of Devon Golf captains
- Credit: Archant
The Emerton Court team at Sidmouth Golf Club played the B team in the second leg of the Ken Titherington trophy recently, writes John Bridgman.
The B team were leading after the first leg by six matches to four, so it was all still to play for.
As usual, the two captains went out first, Emerton Court captain Bob Webber played with club captain Ray Gunston while the B team captain Colin Macklin played with his usual playing partner, Bob Welsman. As expected, they had a great battle but honours were even by the end.
Bob Webber started to think his time had come as the Emerton Court team won their next two matches, Hugh Dorliac and Doug Goodall with an excellent four-and-two victory over the youngsters, Jones and Smedley.
Then David Cowler and Phil Spencer prevailed by beating Mark Pavey and Craig Melluish by three-and-two.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately, for the Emerton Court team, that was as good as it got!
The next two matches were halved and then the B Team ran away with it, winning four out of the last five matches and halving the other match.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 9 East Devon's new homes debate divides residents' opinions
- 10 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
It meant the B Team winning 6-4 again and so overall by 12 matches to eight across the two legs.
B team captain Colin Macklin was magnanimous (?) in his victory speech and for both captain’s, it may be there last performance as captains of their respective teams.
Colin takes up his new duties in January as club vice captain and Bob Webber takes over as captain of the Devon Golf captains, a much deserved accolade for Bob and Sidmouth Golf Club.