Sidmouth Grandmother’s Cup joy for Sue Dowen
- Credit: Archant
The Grandmother’s Cup was played on Wednesday in glorious sunshine, with a cool breeze to make it comfortable to play golf, writes Pauline Couldwell.
This trophy was presented in 1988 by Mrs Betty Ford and the format for the competition if stableford format and lady members who have grandchildren and/or step grandchildren are eligible to enter.
The 28 entrants have a grand total of 91 grandchildren between them, with two on the way and Linda Reynolds has the most with nine grandchildren.
The winner was Sue Dowen with a great score of 39 points and Marian Andrews was runner-up, on countback, with 36 points.
Both ladies are expecting another grandchild with Sue's expected at any time, and may even be born the day Sue's won, making it even more poignant.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, on Monday, East Devon GC welcomed Sidmouth Ladies President's team consisting of Maria Clapp (captain), Sheila Faulkner, Penny Lyne, Marie Timms, Angela Coles, Liz Chance and Gill Paddon.
Unfortunately, it was not a great day for the visiting team with Sidmouth losing all of their games, but will hopefully reverse the result in the return home match.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
- 10 New team on frontline for mental health care and support