Sidmouth II set to secure second place finish in the table after Seaton success
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth III are well placed to end the 2nd XI B Division east season as runners-up to champions Hatherleigh II after they sealed a four wicket win over hosts Seaton II.
The 10-man home side won the toss and opted to bat first and their opening pair made a confident start, taking them to 57 before the first wicket was snared.
However, from 57-1 the home team collapsed to an all out total of 101 after 31.3 overs. The Sidmouth bowling honours went to left armer Craig Stephen who finished with figures of 3-19 from six overs. Graham Munday picked up a couple of wickets with his return being 2-21 from 6.3 overs and Miles Dalton also bagged a brace; his figures being 2-26 from a full stint of nine overs.
The reply was hit by the early loss of Nathan Ritchie, followed swiftly back to the pavilion by Tom Overthrow to leave Sidmouth 2-2. Leigh Adey and Graham Munday took things on to 40 before wickets began to tumble.
The next four wickets all fell to catches as Munday departed for 24, Ashley Perram for nine and Leigh Adey for 15.
You may also want to watch:
However, just one more wicket was lost, that of Miles Dalton for nine – also to a catch, as Greg Fowler (30no) and Greg Chaplin (10no) saw the side to victory with one ball left in the 26th over.
Finishing second will not send the side up as next year it’s the all-through league and, as things stand, the Fortfield third XI will line up in 2018 in the new F Division East with many of the sides they have faced this year, plus the likes of Ottery 2nds, and two from Upottery II, Whimple II and Honiton II.
- 1 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 2 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 3 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 4 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka