Sidmouth III wrap up emphatic win in twelve overs and one ball!
- Credit: Archant
A SIX struck by Joe Griffiths off the first ball of the 12th over emphatically completed a nine-wicket win for Sidmouth 3rd XI at Brixham where the home side were dismissed for 43.
Griffiths had set the tone for a sound performance in the field with a direct hit run-out from cover to take the first Brixham wicket to fall in the third over of the game.
Alistair Bartlett produced a disciplined line with his away swing to take his first wickets of the season, Rob Fowler, at backward point, pouching his first catch for the team to precipitate a Brixham collapse.
Bartlett’s spell cost 10 runs, six of them coming in the last of his nine overs, and yielded three wickets. He sent down six maidens.
Graham Munday bowled 11 balls, three of them producing wickets, to end with figures of 3-4.
You may also want to watch:
The accuracy of his bowling was matched by his under arm throwing when he ran out Brixham’s number 10 after gathering in Scott Newbery’s throw as a foolhardy second run was attempted.
Toby Seldon took 2-9 in four overs as the home side were all out in 21 overs.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 4 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 7 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
Sidmouth anticipated problems with the vagaries of the pitch when batting, and Harvey Sargent’s early dismissal seemed to justify this.
But Tom Overthrow matched watchful defence with punishment of the short ball in an unbroken second wicket partnership with Griffiths who was in positive mood with his stroke play.
The pair both reached 20 as victory and a maximum 20-point return was achieved.