Sidmouth III XV bag seven tries in Bideford victory

Sidmouth 3rds in action during their win over Bideford by 49 points to 10. Ref shsp 5582-44-15TI. Pi

Sidmouth 3rds in action during their win over Bideford by 49 points to 10. Ref shsp 5582-44-15TI. Picture: Terry Ife - Credit: Archant

Sidmouth III XV powered their way to a 48-10 success at home to Bideford thirds, writes Ian West.

The match was subjected to a delayed start due to a misunderstanding of the kick-off time!

However, it eventually got underway with the Chiefs facing an experienced visiting side on the finely manicured Sidford pitch.

The early exchanges were cagey with the sides clearly looking to discover the others weaknesses!

Bideford struck first with a converted try, but the home response was swift as centre Darren White powered over.

You may also want to watch:

There were some promising runs from Sidmouth’s two new wingers, Carl Burrows and Ben Coward, but again, after a spell of probing rugby the visiting side scored next with a penalty to lead 10-5. Sidmouth had the final say in the half with fly half Connor Down chipping over the Bideford defence and collecting his own kick to cross the line in the corner for the greens second try and the half ended with the teams locked at 10-all.

The second half belonged to Sidmouth! Quick hands through to centre replacement Dan Fleming, saw him cross under the posts for a converted try. The home forwards then worked their magic and new flanker Rob Williams muscled over to score a converted debut try.

Most Read

With the visitors visibly tiring Ash ‘Tiny’ Holding left Bideford defenders in his wake, speeding clear for the next try. The forwards, clearly enjoying their own contribution, were again dominant as the ball was worked back into the Bideford 22 where hooker turned prop Paul Harradence ‘swan-dived’ in for a try.

Once again, direct from the restart Bideford were put under intense pressure and this ultimately led to second row Kenton Mathys crossing the line for the sixth home try.

Bideford changed their tactic for kick-off, opting for a kick to the back which landed straight in the arms of Connor Down who spotted the visiting number five was sleeping and punted the ball straight back into the Bideford half to be collected by number eight Will Siddle who brushed off a challenge to score the final points of the game.

In the dying moments a pair of yellow cards reduced the home number and Bideford took advantage and powered their way to the home line.

However, thanks to the outstanding commitment of Saul Vicary and Arron Down Sidmouth, they were pushed back from the line and the final whistle blew shortly afterwards.

If anyone is interested in playing a game of rugby or know someone that is, whether you are looking to get back into it from days gone by or inspired by the rugby world cup please contact Ian West on 07738 666467 or All abilities welcome.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus