Sidmouth indoor bowlers back into a new campaign
- Credit: Archant
Well, here we are again, back to the indoor bowling season, writes Carol Smith.
With the indoor season beginning the day after the outdoor campaign ended, it did mean a lot of bowls ended up in the ditch!
However, it was all great fun. We are very fortunate to have both outdoor and indoor bowls at the same venue.
Outdoor at Sidmouth we have 10 rinks, but indoors it is just the three and, with even more members now, all session are timed through the day to accommodate all leagues, competitions, practice sessions and the many friendly matches we play.
We are a little depleted at the start of this season as many of our members are in sunny Spain, continuing with some outdoor bowling and others like to take a break before the indoor season gets into its full swing.
You may also want to watch:
Despite all that, Sunday saw the playing of the opening drives across two sessions and, for the very first time, it was a mixed event rather than the usual separate ladies’ and gents’ sessions and, by the look of things, everyone enjoyed the day.
The winning rink in the first session was the one of Andrew Lowe, Chris Radburn and skip Pat Harvie, with a great winning score of 20-11.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Rain ruins the cricketing weekend
The afternoon honours went to the rink of Launa Lever, Brian Barber, Bert Hague and skip Valerie Newnham with a brilliant score of 26-9.
After that we all congregated to the bar to toast the coming season and wish our captains, Mary Turner and Ken Wheeler, a very successful and, most of all, enjoyable season.