Sidmouth into last four of Morrison Bell Cup with Feniton success
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town moved into the last four of the Morrison Bell Cup with a terrific display to beat an in-form Feniton who, the day before, had beaten Fresha League Premier Division table-toppers Newtown.
The victory was also all the sweeter for the teams had met in the same cup at the semi-final stage last year and Feniton had won that one to break the Vikings’ hearts.
Sidmouth went about their business in a fairly competent manor and should have taken the lead on the 25th minute when Cameron Vere was sent clean through, however an untimely bobble saw Vere place his shot wide. The remainder of the half was a fairly even contest.
After the break Sidmouth got off to a good start and they took the lead on the hour mark a Ben Farrington free-kick from 20-yards out was deflected into the Feniton goal past a despairing Matt Kingdon. Moments later Vere scored Sidmouth’s second heading home a terrific Ollie Binion cross.
Despite being two down and seemingly out of the game, Feniton showed some real character and deserve a lot of credit as they started to get a firm foothold in the game with Paul Dowling and Dan Norman both fizzing efforts wide.
You may also want to watch:
Town gloves man Alex Bowring – making his first appearance in seven weeks having recovered from a fractured finger - was forced to make three top drawer saves. But the keeper did his job and Feniton could not find a way back and so Sidmouth Town can now look forward to playing a Morrison Bell semi-final tie later in the season.
- 1 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 2 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 The annual Marriott Trophy at Sidmouth Town Football Club
- 5 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 6 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 7 The questions of British Lions selection
- 8 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution