Sidmouth Jewellers joy for Craig Melluish
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth Jeweller’s Friday night league was won this week by chair of competitions, Craig Melluish, with a fabulous score of 44 points, writes John Barnard.
Craig has been in the prizes a few times this season. Known as ‘Mr Golf’, due to his enthusiasm for the game, he will be delighted with his own performance with just five bogies, but three birdies to offset these, on the fourth, ninth and 11th holes. The score reduces his handicap to 8.0, the lowest since he took up the game and, while it will be a new challenge to play off such a low handicap, his gross score of 68 shows that he could still come down some more.
In second place, was Mark Jenkins who played a solid round off his handicap of 17 (now 16) with seven pars and only a ‘blob’ on the 15th to ruin things a little. In third place was Arron Taylor with 39 points.
This competition was played off the whites and the scores were relatively a little higher than usual, perhaps as the greens are holding a little more than usual due to the recent wet weather.
However, the shot of the day was achieved by club captain Richard Powell.
You may also want to watch:
In front of an appreciative audience (of two), he wedged into the 18th green from around 100 yards onto the top tier and his ball gracefully rolled down to the bottom tier and straight into the hole!
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 9 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 10 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help