Sidmouth Jewellers joy for Greg Willmington
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth Jewellers Friday night league was won last week by Greg Willmington, writes John Barnard.
Back home over the summer from his studies, he has played when work allowed and been in the prizes a few times, but this was his first win and it brought his handicap exactly level with his father, much to his delight.
It was a cold, damp September day and other than birdying the second, not much happened on the front nine.
However, coming home, he managed three, four-point holes (by birdying shot holes), which gave him a two point victory with 40 points.
In second place was Lewis Perry, continuing his fine run of form. A steady front nine for Lewis as well and then a run of four birdies from holes ten to thirteen and then a birdie on the eighteenth to score 38 points. Marc Jenkins was third with 37 points.
You may also want to watch:
This week’s Sidmouth Jewellers Friday night competition was won by David Pepperell with 36 points.
The course was obviously playing difficult as standard scratch was set at 68.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 10 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
David had a mixed round: birdies on the first and thirteenth, unfortunately offset by some double bogies, but good enough for his first Friday night win this year.
Malcolm Couldwell was second with 35 points. Two birdies in the first five holes meant a good start, but it slipped away during the round.
Marc Jenkins was third for the second week in succession.
In the Sidmouth Jewellers Friday night league table Kevin Legg now has amassed 31 point lead and, this late in the season, he must be home and dry.
Lewis White has moved into second place with Kym White (no relation, fortunately, for Lewis) in third.