Sidmouth Jewellers joy for Lewis White
- Credit: Archant
The Sidmouth Jeweller’s Friday night league was won this week by the club’s ex-assistant professional Lewis White, writes John Barnard.
Now able to compete in club competitions, he won on countback with 38 points.
The recent dry weather has made the course quite challenging.
The ground has become very firm so the ball bounces hard and runs along way, not always where intended! Lewis is now playing off a handicap of two and used both his shots fairly early on in the round.
However, birdies on holes 10, 13 and 17 gave him a good back nine, just enough to beat club captain Richard Powell. Richard is playing a little more golf these days and his game will surely return to its former glories.
You may also want to watch:
A steady front nine was offset by a run of bogies on the back so a second place this time.
David Burges was third, beating John Barnard on countback. A pretty ‘ropey’ front nine by David, but this was offset by a great, three under gross back nine, the highlight being an eagle on the par five 13th.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 5 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 6 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
There were five twos on the day with each being worth £6.40, well worth the entry!
In the Friday night league, Kym White has 34 points and a four point lead over Harrison Jones with Aston Puckey a close third.